Currently the state of CA is on track to remove over 170 million square feet of turf in southern California. Unfortunately, turf removal incentives are no longer being offered region-wide in many Metropolitan service areas because funding has been exhausted.
Before funds were exhausted in May The Turf Removal Program was re-launched with new terms and conditions, effective for all new and pending applications.
Commercial turf removal customers may now apply for and receive $1 per square foot, up to $25,000 per property each fiscal year (July 1-June 30). Commercial customers who previously received a turf removal rebate may apply for a rebate for additional areas. However, each property is subject to a maximum of $25,000 per fiscal year.
Local turf removal rebates might be available in some areas. A waitlist has been created for those of you who wish to standby should funds become available in the Fall. To join the waitlist, please proceed with submitting your complete application and agreeing to the terms and conditions online. If funding becomes available in the Fall, customers will be selected from the waitlist on a first come first serve basis.
Customers on the waitlist who are selected and approved for a reservation will receive an email in November. Please note that in order to be considered for a rebate, you must not start your project until after you receive an email confirming you have been selected.
In order for a customer to be eligible for the turf removal rebate, they must:
- Have existing grass in the proposed project area
- Install a new landscape that:
- Does not include live turf or turf looking plants
- Includes plants (not turf)
- Is permeable to water and air. Areas with concrete, structures and other surfaces that water and air cannot move through will be disqualified.
- Follows any additional requirements for their specific property. Requirements vary based on the local water agency. You can see these requirements by “estimating your rebate” or applying for project start approval(instructions below).
- Check to see if synthetic turf is eligible in their area. The terms and conditions for your property will state if synthetic turf is not eligible. “Estimate your rebate” to see if synthetic turf can receive a rebate at your property.
- Comply with all applicable local laws, ordinances and other restrictions.
- Must not have received a turf removal rebate before. Only one turf removal rebate per property is allowed.
Please click on “Estimate Your Rebate” to find out if your local water agency is still offering turf removal incentives.